Friday, December 3, 2010

Camp Champ



A charmer of men and of snakes
Maria sure had what it takes
A tropical vamp,
this countess of camp
when taking a bath hit the brakes



Known as the Caribbean Cyclone, actress Maria Montez drowned in her bathtub in France at age 39. The star of many florid costume adventure films (none more over-the-top than Cobra Woman), Montez was dubbed the Queen of Technicolor. Said the diva, "When I see myself on the screen, I am so beautiful, I jump for joy." Above: Poster and publicity still for Cobra Woman (Robert Siodmak, 1944); Below: With husband Jean-Pierre Aumont in Wicked City/Hans le Marin (Francois Villiers 1949).

2 comments:

Jack Veasey said...

I bet she and her husband had to fight for mirror time.

surly hack said...

First a lot of sharp elbows, then the claws come out.